[Talk-nz] [FOSS4G-Oceania] GHG mitigation and FOSS4G SotM Oceania

Martin Tomko tomkom at unimelb.edu.au
Thu Aug 8 06:35:23 UTC 2019

Looks reasonable to me, nice calculation.
I like the chat with parks Vic, local offset is likely best.
M.

From: FOSS4G-Oceania <foss4g-oceania-bounces at lists.osgeo.org> on behalf of adam steer <adam.d.steer at gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, 8 August 2019 at 3:27 pm
To: foss4g-oceania <foss4g-oceania at lists.osgeo.org>, OSM Australian Talk List <talk-au at openstreetmap.org>, talk-nz <talk-nz at openstreetmap.org>
Subject: Re: [FOSS4G-Oceania] GHG mitigation and FOSS4G SotM Oceania

hey folks

waking this conversation up again - there’s some interest from Parks Victoria around applying funding from a GHG offset scheme to restore yellow box woodland - which is direct, local and observable.

I started making some calculations here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DGcpUCO6pHhKutoCh8qh1FcIrnXjyYQ_kOEIf5nCnGw/edit?usp=sharing<https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DGcpUCO6pHhKutoCh8qh1FcIrnXjyYQ_kOEIf5nCnGw/edit?usp=sharing>

…using the ICAO flight emissions calculator. So far we’re up to about 48t CO2 based on my assumptions around who comes from where - and no additions from south pacific islands yet. If you have any input on those numbers please add comments.

Next step is to work more on how much money is appropriate for a programme to sequester 48t of CO2 based on existing offset programmes. Then, have a chat with Parks Victoria around how far that amount goes.

I’ll add those estimates in the same sheet.

Regards

Adam