[Talk-nz] [FOSS4G-Oceania] Considering future Open Geospatial conferences in Oceania

Vasiti Soko vasiti.soko at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 10 20:07:43 UTC 2019

Bula one and all
Apologies for the delay in reply but my feedback below:
Are you keen to see FOSS4G & SotM continue in our region? Yes very much and more awareness is needed in the Pacific region for more recognition. The university of the south pacific in the upcoming Wellington conference will try and seek support from the FOSS4G community of possibly having a course for open source for a postgraduate unit. Begin its a regional university - its setting the platform the right direction in regards to awareness.

Do you have ideas about where and how? As Edwin said - Fiji would be great. How? Esri is very popular in Fiji. I guess to build the momentum for FOSS4, volunteers and drivers of Foss4G can possibly run free online seminar for simple python course or some mapathon in qgis - similar to what Melbourne does? i have been thinking about this for awhile and very keen to start having discussion around setting this up in Fiji and to have it available for the Pacific region. It will be a bit difficult to have govt stakeholders champion this in Fiji begin that they are ESRI users, however i do see an opportunity with CROP agency and private organization to support this. I cant agree more with Edwin that we need more OS in the Pacific.

Would you like to help make it happen? Yes very happy but we need a lot of support. If Edwin and other PICs members join hands we can host this in the Fiji for the Pacific region.

Are you interested in mentoring or being mentored by a bunch of committed volunteers who have worked on prior FOSS4G events? Yes - very keen to mentor the beginners and but would love to be mentored by a senior.

2020: FOSS4G SotM Oceania: Where? Fiji . With Edwin and Domonic support and interested Pacific members in this mailing group - we can start a different discussion about possibly tabling a paper to host it in Fiji? Edwin if you would like to chair this for us, then i am happy to drive it with you. For now, i can start reaching out to key people in key organization to seek their support and interest. If current committee members think that big sponsors for past and current conference will be willing to lend the same support if Fiji is to host 2020 - then we are off to a good start.

2021: FOSS4G-International Should we bid for it? Why not? Lets do it, however i think we need to be strategic about the country that will host it. If Fiji is to host the FOSS4G Oceania 2020 then i guess come 2021 International we should have a clear idea as to which country is ideal to host it and supported by the Oceania region.

Many thanksVasiti Soko