[Talk-nz] Error in the Locator Overlay that I see in iD

Robin.Vant at xtra.co.nz Robin.Vant at xtra.co.nz
Wed Nov 6 06:36:58 UTC 2019

Hello.

When I start to Edit with iD, the screen that says "+ Zoom in to edit"
shows features with a black emphasis that is called a "Locator Overlay".
(It "Shows major features to help orient you".)

This Locator Overlay incorrectly shows Merrill Place, Birkdale,
at about -36.795728, 174.713753 (Latitude, Longitude)
as a through road, coming out again onto Eskdale Road at the western end
of Birkenhead Cemetry.

This is quite incorrect.  See for example Auckland Council GeoMaps (or
even Google Maps).  I have lived just south of Merrill Place since
before it was developed, and I can confirm that there never was a
through road there in the last 45 years.

It doesn't actually matter when Editing OpenStreetMap, because one
rapidly orients and Zooms to the location one wants.  And the current
OpenStreetMap itself shows Merrill Place correctly.

However, what appears to be the same "Street map", i.e. it has the same
error, is used by Land Information New Zealand, for example for its NZ
Street Address data set. Here, the "Satellite" view is (naturally)
correct but the "Streets" view and the "Terrain" view are both
incorrect, i.e. they show Merrill Place as a through road.

I have mentioned this problem (in passing) to Jason Bedford at LINZ, who
appears to keep the NZ Street Address data set up-to date.  His response
was "I believe this data comes from Mapbox, but I don’t know how or
where they get their information from."

I tried to report the problem to Mapbox, but was almost immediately
shunted back to OpenStreetMap.

In the OpenStreetMap Help Forum, I found a question about "Locator
overlay problem" which had one answer that said:
   "wait". "The locator overlay that iD uses can take some time to get
updated. Normally the maps that are based on OSM data (such as the
"standard" map at openstreetmap.org) get updatd first."

But the Locator Overlay that I am seeing hasn't been updated in more
than six months. It doesn't display "Glade Lane", between "Glade Place"
and "Le Roy Terrace", off Hinemoa Street, which was the first ever Edit
I did on OpenStreetMap.

So I am going round in circles.

Help!??

Robin Vant