[Talk-nz] How to tag a marae

Chris Gadd gaddman at email.com
Wed Dec 18 08:43:02 UTC 2019

There are a little over 50 already tagged as "amenity=marae", see
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dmarae where you can
link through to a map: https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/P49

Seems a reasonable choice I reckon. Looking for loosely similar things -
schools <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Education_features>and
places of worship <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Church> are
tagged as amenities, but there's also boundary=aboriginal_lands
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:boundary%3Daboriginal_lands>
(mostly Native American). So my pick would be amenity=marae for the land
(as a way) and then tag the different buildings individualy (eg as
building=wharenui). I think it comes down to how much effort you want to
go to really.