[Talk-nz] Fwd: [nzopengis] Update waterways from new LINZ river names pilot

Mike Exner-Kittridge mgkittridge at gmail.com
Mon Dec 30 04:26:41 UTC 2019

Hi all,

So I've been doing some thinking and testing.
I don't think it would be wise to simply to a bulk import of the LINZ
waterways. The LINZ dataset only has geospatial lines and some names, and
if we want to have a proper waterways network with all the proper network
integrity then a bulk import would simply create a useless mess that would
need to be cleaned up.
Instead, I would prefer more of an iterative approach (which seems more
OSM-like anyway).

It would use QGIS in conjunction with JOSM. QGIS to select several
waterways to be processed, dissolve them on the river name, then export as
geojson. Import the geojson into JOSM, merge them with the OSM data,
process the imported data, then upload the results to OSM. I've already
made a couple example imports:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/78990517#map=14/-41.9538/173.9114

Please let me know what people think about this procedure.

I've written out a more detailed procedure that I would like to add to a
new page under https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Import/Catalogue , but I
haven't figured out how to create a new page...only edit an existing one.

Thanks,
Mike