[Talk-nz] Editing kickoff Australia&New Zealand

Eliot Blennerhassett eliot at blennerhassett.gen.nz
Fri Jan 4 22:09:09 UTC 2019

Hi Horea,

thanks.

On 4/01/19 8:05 PM, Horea Meleg wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> This is Horea and I am part of the mapping team at Telenav.
>
> To make OpenStreetMap more navigable and accurate in guidance, our
> mapping team is planning to start editing in Australia/New Zealand.
>
> Starting this January until June we will focus on road geometry, road
> name, oneways, signpost, speed limit, lanes and turn lanes in Auckland,
> Canberra, Perth and Melbourne.

Can you explain a bit more about how you are going to get this
information?

You imply that data is missing (I'm sure its true) - how are you
locating places for improvement?

Do you have anyone locally in Auckland checking at least a sample?

> This is where you come in! Beside the general OSM mapping
> guidelines (https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Tagging_Guidelines#Road_Tagging),

New Zealand isn't part of Australia ;)

Some info here, variable age and quality...
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_New_Zealand#Tagging_Conventions

> do you have any local mapping guidelines for us? Also, we appreciate any
> hints regarding available local or government
> data (besides https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Data_Catalogue) that
> we might be able to use.
>
> We'd love any input and advice!

If using LINZ layers, please obtain your own API keys:
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-nz/2018q4/000045.html

--
Eliot