[Talk-nz] [talk-nz] Editing signpost in New Zealand

Lacramioara Maghiar - (p) lacramioara.maghiar at telenav.com
Fri Jan 11 15:40:40 UTC 2019

Hi everyone!

My name is Lacri and I am part of the mapping team at Telenav.

To make OpenStreetMap more navigable and accurate in guidance, our mapping team is planning to start editing signpost in New Zealand. We have done some research regarding the tagging guidelines and came across a few cases that we would like to hear your opinion about.

  1.  We observed that the State Highways ref numbers that appear on signpost are added in OSM as for example destination:ref = SH 18 and that the urban routes are added as for example destination:ref = 72. Is the general rule that the state highways ref numbers are added with SH whereas the urban routes ref numbers are added without any letter?
  2.  Also, please take a look here: -36.7576459, 174.703779 (https://openstreetcam.org/details/1316059/141/track-info ). Is always the cardinal direction that appears after HWY added at destination:ref? Example: destination:ref = SH 18 West.

Looking forward for your opinions!

Best wishes,

Lacri