[Talk-nz] [talk-au] Able to host a tile.osm.org CDN node?

Grant Slater openstreetmap at firefishy.com
Wed Feb 20 08:46:38 UTC 2019

Hi John,

We have universities, internet exchanges, hosting companies and some
individuals which host servers for us.
The full list is here: https://hardware.openstreetmap.org/thanks/

We fully manage the software and operating system. All config is
managed via our chef https://github.com/openstreetmap/chef . We also
run a local firewall on each server. If physical hardware, we monitor
using it SMART, hp-health, etc and report any hardware issues back to
the hosting organisation.

AWS bandwidth is extremely expensive and is unlikely to be the most
effective way of improving OpenStreetMap. Most of the bandwidth used
by a regional tile cache is "local". We've had hosting and Internet
Exchanges who have appreciated hosting these caches, because they've
then been able to negotiate better peering agreements with others.

Kind regards,

Grant