[Talk-nz] Microsoft open maps in New Zealand

Oisin Herriott (Insight Global Inc) v-oiher at microsoft.com
Thu Apr 16 22:33:03 UTC 2020

Microsoft Open-Maps team<https://github.com/microsoft/Open-Maps> is starting to work on the OSM data in New Zealand, focusing on the road network, and will investigate other map features as well. The intention is to improve the road network and attributes within the licensing rights agreed, and set out in the NZ data catalogue<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/New_Zealand_Data_Catalogue>. Road names, geometry, destination signs, turn restrictions are all part of the effort, and we will use available street level imagery and aerial imagery to add where possible. Further details are posted on our Github, here<https://github.com/microsoft/Open-Maps/issues/45>. Our team is not importing data, using algorithms or robot edits to improve the map, and would be grateful for any comments or concerns from the NZ community. Please use openmaps(at)microsoft.com to get in touch, and look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks!

Oisin