[Talk-nz] OSGeo Oceania objectives for 2021

Edoardo Neerhut eneerhut at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 02:53:58 UTC 2021

Dear OSGeo Oceania community,

*TLDR: We have objectives! Take a look
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v-Soiym9e-sUSWYCu6l0xXKoao6Ju2hV7qeMRNphQw8/edit#>
and share your thoughts.*

*Why*
Organisations are perpetually constrained by time and resources, and OSGeo
Oceania is no different. To ensure we remained focused as an organisation
and able to provide value for the community, we have adopted a popular
model for goal-setting known as OKRs (Objectives and Key Results). If
you’re interested in the model, there is a good summary here
<https://www.atlassian.com/work-management/strategic-planning/okrs>.

Although we haven’t followed the model to a tee, I’m confident that our
efforts to narrow our focus and articulate the wins we’d like to see will
help us as an organisation, and most importantly, as an open source
geospatial community.

*What are OKRs?*
Objective: Big goal we're working towards.
Key result: Something measurable that will show us that the objective is
being achieved.

*The objectives *(in no particular order)
Please see here for the full details.
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v-Soiym9e-sUSWYCu6l0xXKoao6Ju2hV7qeMRNphQw8/edit#>

   1. Improve community engagement
   2. Grow our membership base
   3. Support a FOSS4G SotM Oceania 2021 conference

*Community input*
I think these OKRs are a great start, but we need a lot more community
input to tighten them up and achieve them. Here are 3 ways you can help:

   1. Put your hand up if you're interested in helping with one of the key
   results or objectives.
   2. Let us know if you have ideas on how some of the key results can be
   made clearer/more measurable.
   3. Share any other thoughts you have on the OKRs.

Looking forward to hearing your input.

Ed & the OO Board.