[Talk-nz] [talk-au] Funding for OpenStreetMap initiatives

Graeme Fitzpatrick graemefitz1 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 13 03:33:17 UTC 2021

Bit of an out-there idea that I've had a couple of times.

Occasionally, when doing an on-street survey in populated areas, I've
thought that the sight of some random stranger walking the street making
notes about the buildings that he's passing & checking out must look a bit
suspicious! :-)

Once, when I was writing down shop names in a shopping centre, I've even
been asked what I was doing, & explained that I was gathering details to
improve local maps.

It would be "nice" if we could walk around with a photo ID, emblazoned OSM
Oceania (or maybe Australia / NZ / Fiji etc etc?) dangling around our
necks, as it would look a lot more "professional" & "official".

At the same time, also have some brochures produced explaining what OSM is
about, what we do & how everybody can contribute, & pass them out to
anybody interested.

Worthwhile?

Thanks

Graeme