[Talk-nz] Format of land use areas. Trace around all roads or just the main drags?

james at tfg.nz james at tfg.nz
Sun Aug 1 08:34:52 UTC 2021

Hey all,

After making updates to the Jville/Newlands/Tawa/Welly area over the past
couple weeks. I've wondered what opinions there are on drawing out land use
areas like residential, commercial, industrial, etc.

Wellington seems to follow the pattern of tracing around every single road.
While Christchurch seems to have things done as large blocks with major
roads being the borders. And I found both in Auckland.

So what do people think/prefer? Avoid any road overlap or only avoid major
roads? Or even just ignore roads entirely?

My personal view is either to either stop at the main roads or just ignore
the roads when laying out the areas. The roads are already are labelled as
being primary, secondary, and tertiary. So it's pretty clear when they're
acting as a border. Also for many of the major roads they're going to create
their own border by being an area of primarily commercial land use.
Meanwhile trying to trace around every single road adds a lot of overhead of
not only updating road alignments but then a way on either side that needs
updating. Then are you including the footpath and berm as part of the area
or do you say that's council owned so not included?

Cheers,

James.