[Talk-nz] Continuing the import of LINZ data into OSM

Kyle Hensel K.y.l.e at outlook.co.nz
Sat Aug 21 09:18:38 UTC 2021

Hi all, I hope everyone is safe during lockdown...

I've noticed that the import of topographic data from LINZ was never completed. This took place between 2008 and 2014. During this time, the majority of topographic data from LINZ was imported into OSM. Since 2014, only addresses and building outlines have been/are being imported.

I've put together a proposal to continue importing 41 of the remaining data layers from LINZ.

I've updated the OSM Wiki page to provide an overview of what data is and isn't in OSM, and the OSM tags used for each layer.
This is available here: https://wiki.osm.org/LINZ The proposed new layers are marked as "🔵 Ready to Import" in the table.

I'd love to hear what everyone thinks about this proposal.
In particular, the proposed OSM tags for the new layers are just a suggestion - some of the choices are not straightforward and definitely need discussion.

Best regards,
Kyle