[Talk-nz] Place names

Eliot Blennerhassett eliot at blennerhassett.gen.nz
Thu Nov 11 05:37:15 UTC 2021

On 11/11/21 16:00, Michael Stark wrote:
> I asked kiwiAs again if they would join the discussion, and this was the reply:
>
> "No, I won’t be taking part in the discussion on the mailing list, for two reasons. First, participating in the mailing list discussion will reveal my email address, increasing the likelihood that I’ll undergo future online harassment (by fanatics pushing the macron agenda) - something that has happened in the past, which forced me to change my OSM username. But second, despite what people might thing, I really don’t care all that much about this. I just care about following the rules. In this case, OSM’s documented rule for the “name” tag, which clearly states that it should follow the ‘on the ground’ rule. But should that rule change in the future (and be clearly documented, like the current rule), then I’ll follow whatever the new rule says."

I find it a bit odd that the *only* rule that kiwiAs is interested in is the name rule, and only to the
extent that it supports their removal of macrons.

I agree with some others that the "on the ground" rule is as much about who controls and lives in an area,
rather than just what is printed on a particular sign.

Given the near consensus for using macrons, and kiwiAs statement that if it is clearly documented to use the
name with macron they will follow it, I suggest that we should add the rule to the osm wki

Here https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/New_Zealand/Place_names
and mention here https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/New_Zealand#Guidelines

Lets hash out the details here https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:New_Zealand/Place_names

Something like
# Place names with macrons / tohutō
After extensive discussion on the talk-nz mailing list [thread](https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-nz/2021/000318.html)

* Where a place has a official name in the NZGB Gazetteer https://gazetteer.linz.govt.nz/
  this name (including macrons if any) shall be used in the "name" tag.

Andy Townsend: any comment from a neutral observer?  Condolences on the cricket...

--
Eliot