[Talk-pacific] [Feedback wanted] OpenStreetMap Oceania local chapter

Edoardo Neerhut eneerhut at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 05:00:38 UTC 2020

Hi everyone,

*Tl;dr: *Please help us set a vision and goals for the Oceania
OpenStreetMap local chapter.

*A local chapter is established*
As some of you already know, OSGeo Oceania is now the local chapter for the
OpenStreetMap Foundation in Oceania. We are the first regional local
chapter, with other local chapters operating at a country level. I believe
there is a lot to be gained by working together as a region.

The OSM wiki describes local chapters
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Foundation/Local_Chapters> as follows:
*Local Chapters are country-level or region-level not-for-profit legal
entities representing the area's map and mappers when dealing with local
government, business, and media, established with the OpenStreetMap
Foundation (OSMF) <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Foundation>, giving
them a link to the legal and copyright governing body.*

This is a good description, but it is still rather broad and it is up to us
as a community to define the specifics. This includes what we want our
local chapter to achieve and how it can support our varied OSM efforts.

*An OpenStreetMap Special Interest Group (OSM SIG)*
For this reason, we have created an OpenStreetMap Special Interest Group
(OSM SIG) that forms part of OSGeo Oceania. This is a group that will meet
periodically to establish some of these goals and hopefully actively work
towards them soon. We've had two meetings thus far and are due for another.
Here are the previous meeting minutes:

   - 2020-07-23
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1TOTHXim1USSbmgR_AftmRRk2GWOwiYM8OhFm0AuA1A8/edit?usp=sharing>
   - 2020-08-10
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1gasCSywdT6N8nFahSLTVOVU6rmEnIi1_BuKEH_peW88/edit?usp=sharing>

Anyone is welcome to join and to take part in the OSM SIG. I propose the
next meeting to take place on January 22nd at 12pm UTC +11. I have added a
meeting to the newly created OSGeo Oceania public calendar
<https://calendar.google.com/calendar/u/0?cid=ZGdlYTA2Y2YydHU5dWtsMmY3bm1mcWpwOThAZ3JvdXAuY2FsZW5kYXIuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbQ>.
Let me know if you have any trouble accessing it and I can send you the
invite.

*OSM SIG charter*
We're working on a charter
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RzMq3p4VAENBkvl1pWIXom4oP6A_j_5EqI7DB_4n0xA/edit#>
that will help define some of these goals. It'll be something we can refer
back to regularly to make sure we're on the right track. It needs a lot of
work and we'd love input from the wider community. Please take a look at it
and make suggestions. The QGIS SIG charter
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1lrewntrC0N1r6mfZdo1AdPhe2qTEaN5hDA2pcL0mrvI/edit#heading=h.16tbdbw1xygl>
is further ahead and can provide inspiration.

Really looking forward to seeing input from you all.

Kind regards,

Ed