[talk-ph] Using Non-copyright Images to Map

Jim Morgan jim at datalude.com
Wed Dec 3 07:04:56 GMT 2008

OK, and as I've been dying to ask this question somewhere, I'm going to flood the mailing list with an impossible two posts in the space of an hour.

I'm assuming the maps on Wikipedia are open source. I used to live in Hong Kong and here's an example from there which I'm particularly keen to use.
	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Discovery_bay_map.svg

The license says "Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License, Version 1.2 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. A copy of the license is included in the section entitled "GNU Free Documentation License"."

OK well assuming I can use this, I can't really figure out how to do it. I thought there might be a way to load it into JOSM as a background, and then trace it. However it seems I need a Mapping Server to do this. I toyed with the idea of setting up my own mapping server, but that seemed like trying to crack a nut with a sledgehammer, so I thought I'd ask the group. What's the best way to go about this? Assuming that the map is OK to use of course.

Jim