[talk-ph] Google making moves ...

Jim Morgan jim at datalude.com
Thu Dec 4 07:33:49 GMT 2008

I can kind of see why Google is targeting Philippines and other developing countries. Its basically the same reason as we're doing Openstreetmap: because there is no good online map available. In HK there are a couple, so there is not as much need for another one. If you look at OSM for HK there's very little there.

I'm not sure that they're poaching contributors from a Creative Commons project. Do you have any information  on this? However I'd be interested to see where they got their data from. Of course they're a rich corporation and can afford to pay for it. But it seems odd that the coverage of their data is very similar to OSM -- mainly Metro Manila and not much beyond that. It seems to correspond roughly with their coverage of high res photography.

Jim