[talk-ph] Google making moves ...

Jim Morgan jim at datalude.com
Fri Dec 5 02:06:27 GMT 2008

sorabsuperstar at web.de wrote, On Thursday, December 04, 2008 11:12 PM:
> Now they are just letting others do the work of maping "second class countries" for them
> ....and this for FREE.....
> .... and this ONLY for THEM, since ... well of course the rights in your work remain with you. But whatever you create from there will be a derivative work with google as Co-Copyrighter.

Absolutely, and this is the reason why OSM is better, and will continue to exist.

> And what is google doing then with this nice intellectual property they wangled out of the people?

The million dollar question. Actually probably a lot more than a million dollars. I've been reading plenty about google recently: the following article is probably the most in-depth I've found about what they do with their data. Chilling although I can't necessarily say evil - they have to make money for their shareholders at the end of the day.

	http://www.slightlyshadyseo.com/index.php/googles-user-data-empire/

> Somehow that is kinda "poaching" ppl from OSM. At least potential contributors.

I see your point. So the answer to that is to get more people hooked into OSM before Google goes mainstream. Tricky with no advertising budget, but I definitely mention it to all my friends. Does anyone know a chat-show host? :-)

Jim