[talk-ph] Status of Marikina, Philippine roads 20081215

sorabsuperstar at web.de sorabsuperstar at web.de
Mon Dec 15 12:13:45 GMT 2008

maning wrote:
> If I haven't been mapping last weekend.  I might have declared mapping
> of roads of Marikina City, Philippines to be completed already.

Damnit, I wanted to be the first to declare that for a Philippine City, namely Makati. (I was so clooooose!)
;) ;) ;)
..... but wait: landuse tags are still incomplete in Marikina. :P

Great job, Maning!

Anyway, I am living up to my word I gave to you, that I'll complete Makati before leaving the country. It's almost done (not all yet rendered I guess). Still incomplete are only Brgys Pembo and Rizal (southern tip of Makati-District II). I am on it :)

However two concerns:

1: I discovered that many of the point-tags imported from "http://www.freewebs.com/phroadguide/" are fairly inaccurate. I keep moving them around to their actual positions. However some things from there simply seem to be not present at all. (e.g. In Comembo "Ninoy Aquino High School" was tagged "Comembo Elemantary". No prob, since the actual Comembo Elementary is located just a few hundred meters south of there, so I moved that tag there.
HOWEVER that very building was (still is) already tagged as "Christian Baptist Academy". I was looking under every rock there, but I could not find any such thing as a Christian Baptist Academy in Comembo. The building accommodates the ElementarySchool. see here: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=14.54729&lon=121.06534&zoom=17&layers=0B00FTF)
Now questions are:
a: Did anyone ever hear about a Christian Baptist Academy in Comembo?
b: What about completely deleting a tag which i cannot verify and/or correct at all?
c: Do you have similar experience with the data from "http://www.freewebs.com/phroadguide/". Are they generally inaccurate?
d. With regard to b. and c.: If there are a lot of wrong tags in that imported database, it would be fairly a long and complicated process to put them all through the bugreport site, i guess.

2. Is there a way in potlatch to cut a way somewhere in the middle in order to make two independent ways out of them? Reason why I am asking is that there are quite a lot of roads which someone already traced from satellite pictures, but unfortunately as a very very long way. Now going into details I have to edit some of these roads as seperate parts, becasue for exapmple their names changes several times in the middle, or they become oneway from a certain point on, etc...
So far in such cases I have to decide which part of the work already done I want to keep, the rest I have to delete and re-map.
Pretty unsatisfying, as it is double work for me PLUS it renders someone elses contribution worthless.

Any ideas?

Cheers
 Soren

PS: Nice work on the website :)