[talk-ph] A look at Wikimapia Beta (and advocating for OSM)

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 17:38:10 GMT 2008

Hello guys (no girls?),

I've e-mailed the mailing list in passing about Wikimapia Beta before, and
I've now properly "reviewed" and blogged about it:
http://vaes9.codedgraphic.com/posts/wikimapia_beta. Wikimapia Beta is yet
another road mapping project and their coverage of the Philippines could
rival that of Google Map Maker since they use Google Maps' satellite
imagery. I've concluded my blog post with a call for participation to the
OSM project by linking to http://openstreetmap.org.ph/.

I'd like to suggest that we talk to the Filipino Google Map Makers (
http://groups.google.com/group/mapping-the-philippines/) (I think Rally is
part of that group), and the Filipino Wikimapians (
http://filimapia.pbwiki.com/) so that we can, at the very least, coordinate
tagging and naming conventions (they face the same problems we do) and
maybe, possibly, encourage them to switch to OSM. Hehehe. ;-)

What do you guys think?

Regards,
Eugene / seav
--