[talk-ph] Possible sub-project: Routing Test Suite

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 03:00:02 GMT 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 1:28 AM, Eugene Alvin Villar <seav80 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I was thinking of this the other day. What if we create a test suite of
> routing scenarios? The scenarios assume that there's no traffic and toll
> fees are no problem. We then have a list of pairs of points that we can
> drive/bike/walk from and to and specify one to two most probable routing
> scenarios based on our own knowledge. We then check out what the routing
> softwares (e.g., http://www.yournavigation.org/) decide. By creating such a
> test suite, we can verify two things:
>
> 1. Check that our mapping is correct (access tags, highway classification
> tags [routing software prefer main roads, for example], oneway tags, etc.)
> 2. Check that the routing software works as intended (assuming the data is
> accurate in the first place).
>
> For example, I checked out what the best route is going from Quezon Hall in
> U.P. Diliman to Manila Times, Las Pinas. (This is the route I used to take
> back in college.) The result from the website above is this:
> http://www.yournavigation.org/?flat=14.654912&flon=121.064377&tlat=14.44809&tlon=120.984855&v=motorcar&fast=1&layer=mapnik.
> It's pretty much spot-on except for two things:
>
> 1. It made a weird path *clockwise* along Elliptical Road (but it
> impressively recognized the U-turn slot along Commonwealth Avenue). This
> should be counterclockwise and probably means that Elliptical Road is
> missing or has an incorrect oneway tag.

Crap! I think it's my fault.  Corrected direction already.

> 2. It turned left to Taft-Baclaran at EDSA-Pasay Rotonda when it should have
> gone the Diosdado Macapagal or Roxas Boulevard route. I think the problem is
> because this stretch of Taft Avenue was tagged as a trunk road instead of a
> primary road.

It turned left to FB harrison which was labelled as trunk, I corrected
them to primary (which should be the proper tag)

> What do you guys think? We can create such a list at the OSM Wiki. :-)

In your example we already identified two errors in the data.

So +1 for me in creating a test suite.
One caveat I would like to point out though, we should not re-tag
things because of problems with routing.  It maybe a problem of the
routing algorithm and not necessarily the data.  Much like the "do not
map for renderer" mantra.

I recently created a routable garmin map for my GPS.  So I will also
test them whenever  I travel.