[talk-ph] Possible sub-project: Routing Test Suite

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 17:14:30 GMT 2008

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 11:00 AM, maning sambale <emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 1:28 AM, Eugene Alvin Villar <seav80 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > 2. It turned left to Taft-Baclaran at EDSA-Pasay Rotonda when it should
> have
> > gone the Diosdado Macapagal or Roxas Boulevard route. I think the problem
> is
> > because this stretch of Taft Avenue was tagged as a trunk road instead of
> > primary road.
>
> It turned left to FB harrison which was labelled as trunk, I corrected
> them to primary (which should be the proper tag)

Ah right! It's F.B. Harrison, not Taft.

> What do you guys think? We can create such a list at the OSM Wiki. :-)
>
> In your example we already identified two errors in the data.
>
> So +1 for me in creating a test suite.
> One caveat I would like to point out though, we should not re-tag
> things because of problems with routing.  It maybe a problem of the
> routing algorithm and not necessarily the data.  Much like the "do not
> map for renderer" mantra.

Yup! That's why I said such a test suite can verify two things: the data and
the algorithm.

I played around with the router some more and discovered that the northbound
side of Guadalupe Bridge had a reversed oneway tag. No wonder I was being
routed to Quirino Avenue then Ramon Magsaysay then Aurora Boulevard instead
of EDSA in some cases!

I also fixed a junction where the southbound stretch of San Miguel Ave in
Ortigas wasn't connected to Sheridan when I saw I was being routed into
Brgy. San Antonio when I'm just trying to cross Shaw Boulevard.

~ Eugene / seav
--
http://vaes9.codedgraphic.com