[talk-ph] Baguio coverage expanding

Ed Garcia eppgarcia at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 01:31:19 GMT 2008

Hi Guys!

Thanks Maning for taking notice of the Baguio area.  Well, that is it for
now as those were all from my personal data as far as Baguio is concerned.
There are no other traces coming from other OSM members or from
waypointsdotph contributors.  I am going to Baguio again this December and I
will be more "armed" this time, if not to do more dense traces, then to mark
street intersections and landmarks.

Had a bit of difficulty "cleaning up" Baguio though and I have been in
constant consultation with Maning.  There were many Ways that were
apparently and obviously just doodled or experimented with.  A number of
them ressemble no existing roads at all!  I had to decide carefully if I
have to replace those doodles totally or keep and use some of the nodes so
as just to keep the history of the original creator of the way.  I am just
careful not to totally erase the work of others.  :>)

As I was reading some of your posts, it dawned on me that in mapping
provincial areas, the Yahoo imagery does not have much "zoomed-in" details
unlike the Metro Manila Area.   I can not even see major streets even for
Baguio.  So, I have been relying on GPS traces and waypoints.  Not to worry
though ... I have also been faithfully refraining from referencing details
from Google Earth to abide by OSM guidelines.

The Yahoo imagery has been useful though in helping me correct coastal
lines!  In many places, the coastal lines in OSM is simply a string of
jagged lines and does not really follow the curve of the shores especially
on areas with many many promontories.  And, because many of the traces from
waypointsdotph are actually near the coast, they sometimes show on the water
instead of on land.  in these cases, I correct the coastline and this is
where the Yahoo imagery is very helpful.  It helps a lot in defining where
major bridges start and end.

Maning, you warned me too late that this OSM is very habit-forming!!!!
hehehe

keep on mapping
:>) ed