[talk-ph] Various

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 13:40:46 GMT 2008

Hi Zoren,

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 6:12 PM, <sorabsuperstar at web.de> wrote:

> > There's no discussion yet regarding barangays. I prefer leaving out
> > the "Barangay" part of the name (unless it's numeric like "Barangay
> > 30").
>
> I was just about to send a second mail about that, as I realized that at
> certain zoom levels you can hardly see the map anymore because of all the
> Brgy. names, or hardly see certain Brgy names because of the other Brgy
> names ;).
> I guess the Brgy concept is a special Pinoy one. This is why the renderes
> are not designed for such a high density of area names (especially with
> regard to font sizes)  . To ease this problem I highly endorse Seav's
> suggestion to omit redundant words "Barangay", "Brgy."(anyway for being an
> abbreviation), "Village", "Subdivision"etc...; unless it is really part of
> the name as in "Barangay 30".
> We should even make this a general national convention for OSM

Regarding this, do not be too conscious of the rendering problems. Try not
to "fix" the data just so it would render pretty. The important thing is to
do the data right and just leave the renderers (Mapnik, Osmarender, etc.) to
decide how to best present the data.

Eugene / seav

--
http://vaes9.codedgraphic.com