[talk-ph] Yahoo!'s satellite imagery in Makati CBD is not good enough

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 10:26:21 BST 2009

Hi all,

I was doing some cleaning up and some building mapping in the Makati CBD
area and I noticed that the satellite imagery in Yahoo! (provided by GeoEye)
has some really bad stitching (multiple satellite imagery were stitched into
one "seamless" mosaic). One particularly bad example is that Rufino St.
(Herrera) is broken along Ayala Avenue. The stitching of the imagery seems
to be along Ayala Avenue and Buendia. If you'll check out the parts of
Buendia near the RCBC Plaza, you'll notice that there are two shadow images
of Buendia there.

I think this means that the data in the Makati CBD area might be quite off
in some parts. I think that we need to supplement this with some really good
GPS traces (the existing uploaded GPS traces are quite noisy) but the
problem is the urban canyon effect that makes GPS a bit ineffective in this
area.

What do you guys think?

Eugene / seav
--