[talk-ph] Scheduled openstreetmap downtime April 17-20, 2009

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 02:46:02 BST 2009

Hi,

This is to remind everyone that there is a scheduled downtime of all
OSM services on April 17-20, 2009.

We will be migrating to a new API (0.6) and new database hardware
during the "switch-off".  After the "switch-off",  there maybe several
hiccups due to to the changes in the API.

What changes?  Not much really for mappers, same data primitives
(node, ways, relations), same tags.  The major changes for us are
changesets, from the wiki:

"all your edits will be grouped into "changesets", and in most editors
you can supply a commit message - an optional string explaining what
mapping you were doing. "

This should speed-up uploading time and hopefully, we can easily
monitor the "context" of why a certain area was edited.

All OSM editors (potlatch, josm, merkaator) are fully supported by the
new API.  You just need to download the latest release of offline
editors after the migration.

Luckily for me, I have a scheduled "field mapping" up north during
that period.  No internet connection, no computers.  Just a GPS and
notebook. :)

For more details:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Protocol_Version_0.6
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Protocol_Version_0.6/Information