[talk-ph] Amenity areas now have icons in Mapnik

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 03:08:55 BST 2009

> Amenities mapped as either nodes or areas now have icons rendered in the
> Mapnik layer. Before, only amenity nodes have icons (though areas already
> have icons in the Osmarender layer).
>
> This means that there may be redundant data in the database. For example,
> this Shell station now has redundant labels because the area and a node are
> both tagged as amenity=fuel and name=Shell:
> http://osm.org/go/4zhA0KFii--?layers=B000FTFTT
>
> Happy cleaning-up, guys! (As soon as the OSM API goes back up this Monday.)
> :-)

Does the icon/label placement works for irregular shaped areas?
Finding the center of an L-shaped area can be difficult.  See this:
http://osm.org/go/4zhS27S1Y-

Although this example is not an amenity, the label for Marikina River
Park was an automated label placement rendered by mapnik.

Secondly, I normally place a node either at the center or near the
entrance/exit for GPS routing purposes.  Routing is sometimes broken
when the POI node is too far from the road.