[talk-ph] Reverting newbie experiments

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 17:14:30 GMT 2009

Hi guys,

I guess it was a matter of chance that I investigated an edit I saw on ITO
OSM Mapper on a whim and came across what appears to be an experimental
newbie edit on this way:
http://openstreetmap.org/browse/way/29509693/history

Basically, the new user added a bunch of tags to the landuse=residential
polygon like waterway=river and railway=tram. This is obviously incorrect so
I reverted it and contacted the user about the revert. Fortunately, the user
replied and asked for a clarification and hopefully I was able to explain
what I did.

I guess the point of this post is that we need to be vigilant in monitoring
edits. It will be hard to maintain the quality of the database as more and
more people contribute. But, by actively engaging new users I hope we can
bring in more people into the fold which helps to ease the effort of
maintaining the quality.

~ Eugene / seav
--
http://vaes9.codedgraphic.com