[talk-ph] OSM Philippines meet-up

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 01:35:31 GMT 2009

It was really great meeting everyone last Saturday. Maning essentially gave
a good and comprehensive report.

A few other points:

A mapping party was mentioned. Somewhere accessible from Metro Manila (where
most people are) and that is not covered by Yahoo's aerial imagery is a good
place. I suggested Tagaytay. Sta. Rosa might also be good.

The interest of real estate people in OSM is based on using the data/map as
a base map for providing vicinity information for property listings. OSM is
not meant for doing cadastral surveys so that's not what they are after. I
think the idea is to have real estate listings like what U.S. realtors do
with street maps of the U.S. in Google Maps.

Yellowasp.com was mentioned as having a supposedly good Flash-based map of
Makati. I checked it out and I'm not too impressed. It's IS usable for
finding buildings in the Makati CBD though.

Jim gave a short account of his mapping Malapascua Island in Cebu.

The government needs to get its act together in providing an up-to-date and
integrated geographical information of the Philippines, especially
concerning the problem of real estate appraisal (where the local appraisal
often conflicts with the national appraisal). The Philippine Standard
Geographic Code of the National Statistical Coordination Board was
mentioned, but it not enough.

That's some of the other points I remember. Maybe somebody can fill in more
details.

~ Eugene / seav

http://vaes9.codedgraphic.com