[talk-ph] AVT releases car GPS device with local maps

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 01:55:20 GMT 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 11:34 PM, Eugene Alvin Villar <seav80 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Check out this article:
> http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/infotech/view/20090224-190764/GPS-device-with-local-map-launches
> about this product: http://www.avt.ph/
>
> They claim to be "the first portable device to carry local map support."
> Commercial, maybe.
>
> I think it was http://www.roadguide.ph/ that is the first to produce a
> GPS-compatible map of Metro Manila and major Philippine roads.

roadguide.ph is the first
openstreetmap second

> But I do have to give AVT props for getting Accumap/Asiatype as their
> mapping provider. In my opinion, Accumap produces the BEST paper maps of the
> Philippines. I've actually bought all of their Metro Manila Citiatlas
> editions. They're that good. :-)

Agree.  Accumap is simply the best paper map for Metro Manila.  I
always drool on these maps at National Bookstore (cartographic
excellence, accuracy, information you really need).
But, I always resisted the urge to buy as I maybe tempted to use it
for OSM mapping ;).  Plus the fact that I don't drive around the
metro.