[talk-ph] Broadening coverage.

Ed Garcia eppgarcia at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 04:33:35 GMT 2009

I was about to post the message below when I was pleasantly surprised to
discover that this has been addressed now and the enhancement is already on
the main map web page of OSM...

>>> Gathering all discussions regarding resorts and how to locate them, one
thing would be really "nice to have" on the OSM main map ... a marker icon
and perhaps a baloon with info indicating the location of a searched item.

This is excellent!  I tried to search one of the schools I added (Tungkong
Mangga Elementary School) with the keyword tungkong and was so pleased with
what OSM displayed.

http://openstreetmap.org/?lat=14.78758&lon=121.07228&zoom=17&layers=B000FTT

Now perfect for POI searching!

Question ... I tried to search by "vicinity"  like:  "hotels in boracay"
and it does not show any items.  I was wishing the search can be enhanced so
that it has the ability to shortlist by category and by location,  I thought
this would be possible since the POIs will have the tourism=x and is_in:
tags anyway.  This is how resorts are organized in WaypointsDotPH.  If this
can be done in OSM, then traveller queries like that of Jim Morgan can
easily be answered by the search facility of OSM.

cheers
ed

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 10:27 AM, maning sambale <emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
> wrote:

> > tourism=hotel
> > name=The Nice Hotel
> > is_in:country=Philippines
> > is_in:state=Xxx Province
> > is_in:island=Panglao
> > is_in:beach=Alona Beach
>
> Excellent example!  I think I've this area a bit.
> I agree we add this info to the POIs.

website administrator:
- www.waypoints.ph
- reeflife.eppgarcia.com