[talk-ph] GPS reservation request

Ronny Ager-Wick - Develo Ltd. raw at develo.ltd.uk
Fri Jul 17 11:38:11 BST 2009

Jim Morgan wrote:
> Ronny Ager-Wick - Develo Ltd. wrote, On Tuesday, 14 July, 2009 06:52 PM:
>
>> Thanks Jim, that is very useful! Will definitely check out one of those
>> converters.
>>

> You can probably get them anywhere, but I just found them on that site recently.

Yep, I was aware of their existence, I just didn't realize they were so
cheap :)

>> I was thinking of simply collecting all the data and process it when we
>> come home to Magalang, but it seems increasingly intriguing to bring a
>> laptop and do edits directly on the "road". Do you know if usable
>> packages exit for Ubuntu that can act as a GPS with one of the loggers
>> connected to the USB port?
>>

> According to Maning, the guys in Davao did just that:
>
>> The davao guys murlwe and smackcode used the gpstogo units with tangogps:
>> http://mapping.ideacampdavao.com/2009/06/diy-gps-navigation-rig.html

This is perfect for mapping from a car, which is fortunately most of the
time.
However, if I go on a long trip on foot, the laptop will eventually run
out of battery, so I can't depend on logging straight to TagoGPS all the
time.

> I'm not sure how that worked exactly, but tangoGPS uses gpsd, so anything that can communicate with that  will work. I was using a bluetooth dongle, but a USB connection would work just as well, as long as Ubuntu recognises it. You have to fiddle with rfcomm a bit I seem to remember. Hopefully those pointers will give you enough to go on.
>
>   USB -> rfcomm -> gpsd -> TangoGPS
>
> The only 'gotcha' with the GT-31 is that its waypoints dump needs to be converted to a recognisable format on a windows box. So you'd sidestep that if you were logging directly to TangoGPS.
>
> Jim

Very useful, Jim! Thanks a lot for that.
That gotcha is definitely a big gotcha. I don't stock windoze computers,
so that would be pretty annoying. *Does anyone know of any gps loggers
that can be bought for a reasonable amount of money that does NOT use
some obscure proprietary file format?*
I'm still in the UK so I can get one from here if needed.
I could always use my dusty old Win2k VM, which I'm sure I can dig out
from my backup hard drive somewhere, but I can't remember if USB was
even invented at that time, not do I know if it will work in VMWare. But
I really just want to avoid reliance on proprietary stuff. I want to be
able to help others with this after I've done it, and people that know
me knows very well that I will never say "then just start up Windows to
download and convert this file". There must be a better solution.
Will search for some linux friendly GPS loggers on Amazon later :)

Ronny.