[talk-ph] suggest a new mapping party event

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 07:37:02 BST 2009

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 10:26 PM, maning
sambale<emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com> wrote:
> converted the
> shapefile to gpx using GPSbabel (FOSS GPS data converter).
Correction pala dito, I used ogr2ogr utility to convert shapefile (the
original shapefile was in UTM Z51) to gpx.

You can create a local webmapservice (wms) and load any data in josm.
But that's pretty much complicated for me (requires apache, mapserver,
gdal, etc).  Did it before with the QC
streets import.

It's easier to just get the latest landsat data, edit in your favorite
GIS app and then load to JOSM or the shp2poly.py script.

The free downloadable LANDSAT offers a lot possibilities for areas
with very little coverage.
We can add the latest landcover (especially forest ) of the
Philippines (possibly my next big OSM project).

As to eds, request for tutorial, I can either write something or let's
just have a demo session over beer ;)

PS:  my typing maybe crappy since I am on an internet shop with a
failing keyboard.