[talk-ph] Philippines PGS coastline import

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 04:49:29 BST 2009

Hmmm... I think we should treat this like any other import (like the
recently-discussed Palawan data).

In lots of areas, the coastline has already been adjusted from the
SRTM-based coastline before using the Landsat imagery in Yahoo. PGS is based
from Landsat so in these areas, the PGS might not be significantly better.

In other areas, the jagged SRTM-based coastline still exists so PGS would be
better. While in other areas, the coastline has been traced using the
high-resolution satellite imagery in Yahoo! (for Metro Manila and Davao) so
PGS would definitely by worse.

I think we should convert this to GPX and let people using JOSM and
Merkaartor manually import/replace. (I don't think this GPX file should be
included in the main OSM GPX database.)

http://vaes9.codedgraphic.com