[talk-ph] tagging distinctly Philippine POIs

Rally de Leon ralleon at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 10:08:46 BST 2009

(not all are distinctly ph poi's, but for the sake of discussion, here
are some POI examples i know or don't know):

-Ukay-ukay / Wagwagan
-Hilot (manghihilot / mangtatawas)
-Daycare - is this classified as a school?
-Multipurpose Hall / Barangay Covered Courts - that cannot be plainly
classified as basketball court.
-Store that only sells LPG tank (gasul)
-Junkshop (buy and sells scrap)
-Store that primarily sells reconditioned and surplus equipments (eg. HMR)
-Barangay Outpost or Police Outpost (small booth only, not barangay
hall or police station)
-FX Terminal (including a tag for their route destination, eg.
crossing, ayala, megamall)
-Newspaper stand (Tabloid / Broadsheet) - some sari-sari store sell
newspaper, bulgar, taliba, most don't.
-Pay Restrooms (distinction between free/public and pay restroom)
-Auction houses/yard like the ones in subic (or are these just
considered buildings?)
-DIY shop that is specialized in electronic/speaker/radio parts, not a
typical hardware (Raon-type of store, more like a radioshack
equivalent, or Kuryente) - or just generalize this as "hardware shop"?
-free-standing betting stations/ pagcor / lotto outlets and alikes
-DVD DVD (or is this supposed to be secret) ;-)

-clear and easy guideline which are considered fastfood and
restaurant. as we don't want too many POI icons on the map.
Eg. If you pay first (at the counter before you eat), then it's
FASTFOOD (eg. mcdo, jollibee, greenwich, and those at regular food
courts, including burger machine and good burger).
If you eat-first-then-pay-the-bill, then we generally put it under
RESTAURANT (especially if there's a waiter).

except for the free-standing semi-permanent fishball/isaw/shawarma
stand/kiosk (and alikes) where you eat first, then pay all the
fishballs you've eaten. Is this classified as fastfood or simply
"snack stand"?

So is "yellow cab" or goldilocks a restaurant or a fastfood?

i believe goldilocks and redribbon falls under "bakeshop"? so
therefore, as long as they sell cake, even if they sell fastfood, the
priority tag must be bakeshop. is this ok? that way, we use lesser and
easier to identify POI icons (for use on mobile devices)