[talk-ph] tagging distinctly Philippine POIs

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 02:48:43 BST 2009

I added a couple of POIs in the wiki:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/PH:Map_Features

Please add more and "wikify" the page ala Map Features

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 9:04 AM, maning
sambale<emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's very difficult to decide whether we create our own Pinoy tags or
> adapt existing ones for two reasons:
>
> 1. this is an international project we need to maintain the
> "commonality" of features so that it is understandable across
> countries;
> 2. some features are hyper-local, it cannot be assigned to a generic
> tag.  To take the MMDA pink urinal a bit further, I think it should
> be:
>
> amenity=toilets
> sex/gender=male
> fee=no
> weewee=yes
> poopoo=hell no!
> operator=Metropolitan Manila Development Authority
>
> I suggest we add more features we can think of (Rally gave several
> index cards on this).  Match them with the existing map features page.
>  For features that doesn't have an actual match, add them to the
> Pinoy-POI list
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/PH:Map_Features
>

>> Please add more info.
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 4:20 AM, Ronny Ager-Wick - Develo
>> Ltd.<raw at develo.ltd.uk> wrote:
>>> Looking at http://osmdoc.com/en/tag/shop/ I've seen numerous variants of
>>> such a generic tag, but "yes" seems to be dominating:
>>> shop=yes (213 existing)
>>> shop=shop (123 existing)
>>> shop=other (54 existing)
>>> shop=whatever (15 existing)
>>> shop=undefined (14 existing)
>>> shop=unknown (13 existing)
>>> shop=? (12 existing)
>>> shop=FIXME (10 existing)
>>> shop=misc (8 existing)
>>> shop=y (8 existing)
>>> shop= (8 existing)
>>> shop=empty (6 existing) -- although this may mean that the shop is vacant?
>>> shop=??? (2 existing)
>>> shop=Y (2 existing)
>>> shop=uknown [sic] (2 existing)
>>> shop=* (2 existing)
>>> shop=XXX-Fixme: unknown (2 existing)
>>>
>>> Is there any way to do a global search/replace on tags that are obvious
>>> misspellings or that need to be normalized, such as all the above?
>>> I also noticed there is shop=betting, shop=bookmaker and shop=gambling. Are
>>> anyone tagging those "secret" places where the jueting agents get their
>>> numbers? :)
>>>
>>> Also I've found a couple of interesting ones:
>>> for junk shops: shop=junk (5 existing) (there's also shop=second_hand, 5
>>> existing)
>>> for vulcanizing shops: shop=tyres (26 existing)
>>> for pasalubong shops: shop=gifts (22 existing) or shop=gift (13 existing)
>>> for palengke: shop=wet_market (10 existing)
>>> for shoe shine/repair people with a fixed space: shop=shoe_repair (6
>>> existing) or shop=shoemaker (5)
>>> for LPG stalls: shop=gas (2 existing)
>>> for the strawberry stalls along the way to Baguio: shop=fruit (21 existing)
>>> for the fish stalls along the way to various coastal towns: shop=fish (46
> [...]
>>> (the two last ones are a bit less serious, but you can't argue it's not
>>> useful to have them there)
>>> or what about shop=sex for certain bars you should not venture into? OK that
>>> was maybe taking it a bit far, but apparently there are 16 such shops tagged
>>> already :)
>>>
>>> I've also seen semicolon in use, for example shop=sport;bicycle;outdoor
>>> Maybe we could use this to add our local flair, which is useful for Pinoys,
>>> such as shop=gifts;pasalubong ?
>>> Is this a good way, or is it better to generalize as much as possible?
>>> How will GPSs deal with that (semi colon separated tags)?
>>>
>>> I've also seen shop=car;car_repair and shop=car, car_repair, and I believe
>>> I've seen tags with | as well earlier. So which one is it, comma, semicolon
>>> or pipe?
>>>
>>> Also, is singular or plural recommended? I've seen both gift an gifts. I'm
>>> thinking singular would mke most sense, but I'm not sure.
>>>
>>> Ronny.
>>>
>>> George Tujan wrote:
>>>
>>> can we setup a generic tag for POIs? so that when a contributor has
>>> doubt on what tags to use they can just use the generic tag then
>>> either update it or let others update it later
>>>
>>> On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 7:35 PM, Ronny Ager-Wick - Develo
>>> Ltd.<raw at develo.ltd.uk> wrote:
>>>

>>> Very interesting conversation!
>>> I often wonder which tag to put on certain POIs and sometimes resort to
>>> guessing, which of course is not good. What if we use this discussion as a
>>> basis for a wiki page for Pinoy POIs, sort of like a dictionary of
>>> amenities, like:
>>> MMDA urinals - see toilets
>>> Toilets - amenity=toilets; fee=yes/no
>>> Newspaper stand - shop=newsagent
>>> Cockfighting arena - sport=cockfighting
>>> Multipurpose hall - building=yes; amenity=public_building
>>> etc.
>>> I would include the generic world wide ones as well, so we can use this as a
>>> guideline for how to tag stuff when in doubt.
>>>
>>> Or is there already such a page?
>>> Ronny.
>>>
>>> ian lopez wrote:
>>>
>>> For pay toilets, amenity=toilets; fee=yes, while shop=newsagent is for
>>> newspaper stands (I think). for DVD shops, I think that there is no tag for
>>> it. The big G has "Quiapo DVD" (somewhat prominent when you look at it), but
>>> I think that we can't tag it since it is somewhat illegal. Basketball courts
>>> are easy, use sport=basketball. AFAIK, multipurpose buildings should be
>>> building=yes, amenity=public_building. In some places, I tag cockfighting
>>> arenas as sport=cockfighting, though a good number of people outside the
>>> Philippines do not consider sabong as a sport (and illegal in some places).
>>> Yellow Cab is a "pizza place", most likely to be tagged as
>>> amenity=restaurant.
>>>
>>> Regarding MMDA's urinals, it should be amenity=toilets, fee=no (from what I
>>> know, most, if not all of its urinals are used for free),
>>> operator=Metropolitan Manila Development Authority

>>> Eg. If you pay first (at the counter before you eat), then it's