[talk-ph] Philippine addressing system for OSM

Ronny Ager-Wick - Develo Ltd. raw at develo.ltd.uk
Thu Mar 19 11:42:24 GMT 2009

Maning and Rally, I am very happy that you mentioned this problem!

I have worked with addressing systems for years. Having made database
schemas and software for direct marketing companies, mail order
businesses and a world wide location search system, I have considerable
expertise in this area. I have also been annoyed with the complete mess
the Philippine addressing "system" is in, and have been wanting to do
something with it. This may be the kick I need to get going.
Addressing systems look so easy when you just glance over them, but when
you dig deeper into the matter, like Rally has done here, you discover
that it's immensely complex. If the database schema holding this
information is not designed well, it's going to be a complete mess
forever after.
I have analysed the situation in some other countries and found their
weaknesses:

Norway (where I'm from): Postal codes are under the control of the
postal and telecommunications authority (which means government). This
is the first mistake. Anyone who has dealt with the government knows
that thay are utterly incapable of doing anything right. Result: small
towns have one post code, similar to the phils. Bigger (or randomly
selected small towns) have numerous postal codes which are assigned so
they fit the routes of the local post office! Completely useless to
anyone but themselves...
Norway is also complicated, but not as messy as the Philippines. The
most complex addresses can be like this one:
Leil 42, 2. etg, oppg. C
Storebakken 12
0123 OSLO
The least complex one can be like the one of my Grand parents before:
4760 BIRKELAND
(that's it)
The reason for this is that it's a small village, they live by the main
road, which has no name (only a road number which never is used in an
address) and the one delivering mail there knows everybody anyway. This
is still a valid address.
The good thing about Norway is that the street name is unique within the
postal code - in fact within the municipality (which can have 1 or more
postal codes as explained above). This luxiru we don't have in the Phils.

Moving on the the UK, which has an excellent postal code system - in my
opinion even better than the US. Not perfect, but a good model.
Their "post codes" consists of four sections:
Postcode area
Postcode district
Sector
Unit
Examples:
GU35 9NQ - GU = Guildford (the nearest big town), 35=district within the
Guildford area, 9 = Sector, NQ = Unit
W2 6DB - W = West London, 2 = district, 6 = sector, DB = unit
EC2R 8AY - EC = East Central London, 2R = district, etc.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_postcodes for full details.
The addresses in the UK are also structured in a way:
For example, my address is:
Flat 12
Cleveland House
55 Cleveland Square
London
W2 6DB
Address explained:
Flat 12 = flat number, apartment number, room number, etc (section of
building). Normally not included in address finder software.
Cleveland House - House name. in this case redundant information, as
house number is specified below. A UK address can have a house name OR
house number, or both.
55 Cleveland Square - House number + street name
London - town/city (London is special as there is no need for county)
W2 6DB - postcode
We used to rent a farm house earlier, the address was:
Sandybridge Farm, Main Road
Kinglsey, Bordon, Hampshire
GU35 9NQ
Address explained:
Sandybridge Farm, Main Road - house name + street name (basically the
same as house number + street name)
Kinglsey, Bordon, Hampshire - Area, Town, County
GU35 9NQ - postcode

I believe the US has s similar system to the UK, like Rally describes,
but their postcode system is based on numbers only, like 13745-1452
which is inherently difficult to remember. The UK system is much better
as it utilized letters as well as numbers. This makes the codes shorter
and easier to remember.

What I propose that we do - before any government body or commercial
company does it, is to create a near perfect postal code system for the
Philippines. This could be a separate project form OSM, but closely
linked - so that OSM will always be the best and most updated map with
all postal codes included. The reason why I want to do it this way is to
ensure that the address, post code and geo coding information remains
free for all, unlike most othr countries where only companies with a big
enough budget can legally get hold of the data.

Rally has gone into great detail already, which is immensely useful
information. With my experience of db design in this specific area, I
can solve a couple of the problems he is facing:
He says people uses different ways to describe the same address. This is
and will always be a problem. The address db should therefore be
centered around points, not the address itself. A point can be either a
single X-Y coordinate or an area. Each point can have more than one
address attached to it. We can mark one address as "primary" or
"official" so that looking up any of the other address will give you the
official address in the end.
So if "#245 Brgy Sta Cruz, Magalang, Pampanga" is the physical location
as "10 Rizal Rd, Puruk 1, Magalang, Pampanga" (it's not, I just made it
up), then so be it: add both address pointing to the same point.
Also, addresses change. This is a fact, and it's unavoidable, so the
system should be prepared for it. Having "valid_from" and "valid_to"
dates on addresses is a good start. This way, no historical data gets
lost. In year 2045, we can look back and see what the address was called
in 2009.
And don't worry about database space. You shouldn't need to feel sorry
for the computers, they're there to serve us, and disk space gets
cheaper every day (about half price every 18 months), so I wouldn't
worry too much about that.

I agree that the Lot/blk/phase thing is a stupid system that should be
abandoned immediately, however, failing that, having a system that
allows more than one address per physical location (point) goes a long
way. When someone actually comes up with a good name for the streets
within a sub division and numbering the houses within it, we can add
them right away while still supporting the legacy lot/blk/phase style.
If we assign postal codes with care - in other words if you have a
lot/blk/phase system, but you assign each postal code for one side of
the street in one block only, then you the lot number can act as house
number, as it will be unique.
Better yet, as the system will have a "primary" address, say you're a
courier like Rally and you're printing the list of places to go - the
system can look up the address (postal code + house number/name being
unique) and print the "real" or official address rather than the one
given. So someone writes:
Lot 12, blk 3, phase 2
Diamond-gold-celebrity-life-buy-a-lot-here-and-be-happy-ever-after
Subdivision
Sometown, Someprovince
XX4X 1XX
It's translated to
59, 5th Avenue
Diamond-etc subdivision
Sometown, Someprovince
XX4X 2XX

I am prepared to design the database schema and direct the development
of a piece of software that can do all of this. I suggest that we create
an organization that holds the ownership of this software (which will
only be used on our web server anyway, and we don't want idiots copying
our server software to set up slightly modified alternative versions all
over the place) but release the data under an appropriate open license,
similar to OSM, available to everybody and easy to update, so it will be
kept up to date.
Exchange of data between OSM and this system would be obvious, leading
to all addresses - and postal codes - in the entire Philippines being
available on OSM - down to house number/name and their exact location.

Hopefully, the post office and all courier companies, mail order
companies, direct marketing companies, etc. will see the value of this
and adapt it as well.

Well, this was a lot of stuff in one go, but if anyone will raise their
hands to say they want to be part of this (and also add what they plan
to contribute with), then please let me know. I will then set up a task
management system where we can enter all our requirements and start
moving towards development of a system for it.

Ronny