[talk-ph] bulk import of wikipedia POIs to OSM

Mike Collinson mike at ayeltd.biz
Wed May 6 10:52:18 BST 2009

I kinda sit on the fence on both the legal issues and the desirability of bulk importing specifically Philippines data.  For kicking off this discussion, I'd therefore suggest that we do not do a bulk import but that we do individually use the Wikipedia map location tool. I have found this very useful for broadly locating something I am looking for even when the exact location is not accurate (often).

If list members have not come across this, there are often lat/lon coords in the top right of a Wikipedia article.  Click on that and you are given a list of online maps, click on OpenStreetMap "map" and the on the usual OpenStreetMap Edit link.  I then use the landsat imagery to precisely locate the feature I am looking for and manually create a tag or way ... or adding more information to a tag that is already there.  I generally use it for getting names for rivers, mountains and towns.

Mike