[talk-ph] What level of POIs do we add? (was Click the City)

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Wed May 6 16:42:51 BST 2009

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 11:28 PM, Rally de Leon <ralleon at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you have access to (data of) all locations of Jollibee, McDonalds,
> 7-Eleven, Ministops, Mercury Drugs and all these big companies, by all means
> mark them. With the exceptions of those already inside big malls (which will
> just clutter the map); we only need the mall-building itself as a landmark
> (POI) together with position of entrance gates and parking lots.

Well, my idea is that if a McDo branch exists as a standalone building then
there's no problem drawing the building outline and adding name=McDonald's,
amenity=fastfood to it. But, as you've said, I don't think that means that
we should also place a point for the McDonald's inside Robinsons Galleria.

This implies that one *cannot* query the OSM database and get the coordinate
locations of *all* the McDonald's branches in Metro Manila (you'll only get
partial info). To get the full information, one should look elsewhere (e.g.,
go to www.mcdonaldsph.com, or look at ClicktheCity.com, or even start an
OpenYellowPages) then geocode the obtained addresses using street data from
OSM to get the actual coordinates. This actually helps create mashups
applications using OSM as a tool.

--
http://vaes9.codedgraphic.com