[talk-ph] namefinder now gives address information

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 09:28:58 GMT 2009

Hi,

I just discovered this one a few hours ago.  A co-worker printed a
google map and ask me where is Atrium in Makati.  Since it is a paper
map, I cannot do search :).
Naturally I opened openstreetmap and type in "Atrium Makati" in the
"Search" box.  I got this result:

Commercial Atrium, Urdaneta, Salcedo, Makati, 1225, Metro Manila, Philippines

It gives me village, city, postal_code, region and country! Cool!

I did further searching:

"Panciteria Marikina"

gives me:
Riza's Panciteria, 114, M. H. del Pilar, Dona Juana Subdivision,
Calumpang, Marikina, 1610, Metro Manila, Philippines

Close enough, but no exact because the data for this node is:
    * name: Riza's Panciteria
    * addr:housenumber: 114
    * addr:street: M. H. del Pilar
    * addr:city: Marikina
    * amenity: fast_food
    * cuisine: filipino

I suspect namefinder is using a mixture of technique to geocode
features probably using is_in tag and addressing info.  Please try and
test around your area.  I think the best way is to use the addressing
info when it is available.
We're getting there!