[talk-ph] Fwd: Planning ahead of disasters with GIS

Michael Cole colemichae at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 04:10:43 BST 2009

On Tuesday 13 October 2009 11:00:35 am maning sambale wrote:
> :-/I hope so, but what worries me is when we start doing this, can we
>
> sustain the effort?  In some LGUs , they have way better GIS database
> than what NAMRIA has. Moreover,  does it make much sense to do 1:10K
> mapping for rugged, uninhabited areas of the Philippines?

When you are looking at water flows, then this data can be very important, as
it may be a drainage area for a location quite a distance away.

Also when they have proper Radar installed they can then see that the rain is
falling in these areas, and inform the concerned citizens miles away that they
could expect a flash flood.

Flash floods caused by rain in isolated areas probably kills more people, since
people think it is all safe then the water rises unexpectedly elsewhere.

If you are going to do a job like this it is better to do it all correctly
than what they have done before which is piece meal which just adds to the
frustration when disasters like this occur and you cannot even go back 20 or
40 years to get a good topographical map of the areas concerned.

Do it right or not at all. Yes they can prioritise populated areas, but map
the lot and then later also the other departments like land use planning, Land
titles, can use them.

MY 2 Centavos, I do think it is a little costly, but then again looked at your
electricity bill lately (2nd most expensive in Asia)