[talk-ph] Province place nodes

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 04:42:35 BST 2009

Ok. I tried a crack at checking/fixing the Oriental Mindoro place node and
found out that this is much harder than I thought.

First, I tried confirming whether there's a place node for Oriental Mindoro.
Doing this with Potlatch is impossible so I used Merkaartor and serially
downloaded the data in the area of Oriental Mindoro. I found no node and
decided that there was none in the first place so I added the node[1].

Then on a whim, I tried the OSM Name Finder[2] despite its outdated data and
found that there was indeed an existing node[3], except that it was located
in Occidental Mindoro (which was why I didn't find it in the first place).
So I deleted the node I added earlier and moved this existing node in its
place. In the process, I renamed the existing node from "Mindoro Oriental"
to "Oriental Mindoro" and removed the tags pertaining to the GNS import
since the coordinates no longer match that of the GNS database[4], which was
the source for the original import.

I think doing this is easier with JOSM and with a planet.osm[5] Philippine
extract but I refuse to install a Java virtual machine on my old computer.
:-)

[1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/495881060/history
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Name_finder
[3] http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/305704531/history