[talk-ph] Donations needed for the Philippines due to Tropical Storm Ketsana

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 12:21:24 BST 2009

Hello all,

This mail has nothing directly to do with OSM but I would like to appeal for
donations to help relief efforts here in the Philippines. As some of you may
know, Tropical Storm Ketsana[1] brought torrential rain and flooding in
Luzon island and in the capital area of Manila. In just 12 hours, rainfall
to the metropolitan area has brought more water than the monthly September
average and has broken a 1967 rainfall record. There has been around 70
people confirmed dead.

We have confirmed that OpenStreetMapper Ed Garcia[2] was one of those
affected. His house in Marikina[3], one of the cities most affected, has
been submerged in water and mud. He and his family were able to evacuate to
a neighbor who has a two-story house.

We unfortunately have no word yet about Maning Sambale[4], the person who is
most active in Philippine OpenStreetMap community. He and his family also
live in Marikina.

If you would like to help, you can donate to the Philippine National Red
Cross via PayPal courtesy of the NGO TXTPower[5]. Or if you have the means,
you can donate directly to the Philippine National Red Cross[6].

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_Storm_Ketsana_%282009%29
[2] http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/ed_waypointsdotph
[3]
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=14.6334&lon=121.1002&zoom=13&layers=B000FTF