[talk-ph] Tropical Storm Ondoy: are you guys ok?

Rally de Leon ralleon at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 16:16:23 BST 2009

I just arrived from Cainta to check on my in-laws. The town has no
power, no water, no cell signal, no landline, no atm, no open gas
stations, and mud all over.

Our house in Taytay is not that low (and it used to be 1-meter higher
than street when my family moved in 1972, now our gate is about
6-inches lower than street level), and muddy flood water managed to
enter our house and office. No major damage because it happened at a
time during office hours (and were able to ask lots of help from
people to move things to the 2nd floor)

This already happened about 5 years ago and I learned my lesson. Most
of my important paper files, personal stuff and books got wet. So I
imposed an office-rule (it's beside my house) that everything (files,
electronics, extension cords, etc) must be stored 12-inches above
ground in case something like this happens again. All our cabinets are
no lower than 14" from ground. I always thought that should flood
inside our house reaches12-inch deep, then it's a major catastrophe,
and it's very unlikely to happen. I can be wrong. Now I think I'll
amend the rule to 2feet-above ground. Disaster records always get
broken, and it's just a question of when. Although this simple flood
precaution (that works in my area) won't work in Cainta, Pasig and
Marikina.

BTW, When I saw on tv the level of flood at gate of provident village,
I already imagined what happened to Ed's house (because it's a
bungalow). Well, I think if houses are to be built (or rebuilt in that
area), houses should have a 2nd or 3rd floor (with CR and small
overhead tank that can operate without power and make-shift kitchen)
and it should have an upperfloor exit so you don't get trapped during
flood. If you happen to have a small plastic boat or any floating
device or raft (or powered boat or jetski), then have them permanently
tied to a strong rope or chain in the garage (for emergency use), so
that it doesn't get carried out by the flash flood. These provisions
are not O.A. when you live in marikina or any where between the areas
Marcos Highway, Imelda Ave and Ortigas Ave Ext., because catastrophic
floods in these areas are always bound to happen (just a couple of
years apart). Gardens, cars, computers can be repaired, but I can only
imagine what it's like to lose the sentimental stuffs, mementos,
diplomas, writings, diaries, notes, land titles, old pictures,
hard-earned furniture, paintings, etc to muddy water damage or totally
lose them to the river. Although, they compare nothing to lose of life
& love ones (like many people interviewed on tv). It's really a sad
day.

Thank God, Ed and his family are safe now. Ed maybe strong, but let's
help them (and others affected) anyways so they can get back to their
normal lives in the soonest possible time. ...our real way of thanking
God, that we are also safe.

Any news on maning?

-rally