[talk-ph] Node position for towns

Jim Morgan jim at datalude.com
Tue Apr 6 15:22:33 BST 2010

Ed Garcia wrote, On Tuesday, 06 April, 2010 10:05 PM:
> Glad you agree guys!  Surprised to see so many +1s in barely an hour
> from posting.  Okay then, I'll start with San Antonio in Zambales.  That
> town node is currently so far away from town proper ... it is currently
> located on the mountains.

Seems like a lot of these town / village / city markers are way off the mark to begin with. I guess they were imported en masse from an imprecise source. They usually seem to be 1 or 2 km off the mark. Usually when I find them, I'll drag them closer to a known settlement -- sort of plonk it in the middle of the most obvious mass of houses on a satellite view, or near the most obvious confluence of roads. Then when someone with more local knowledge finds it, they drag it closer to the City Hall ... and when the City Hall is actually on the map, then it's truly accurate.

This process of gradually getting more and more precise seems to be what OSM is all about really.

Jim

--
   datalude: information security
   e: jim at datalude.com
   Philippines: +63 2 403 1311 / mob: +63 920 912 5830
   Hong Kong: +852 6840 6693
   w: http://www.datalude.com/