[talk-ph] to share or not to share nodes?

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 16:06:57 BST 2010

Personally, I am more bothered with overlapping ways than with shared nodes.

Nodes should be shared if the two ways sharing that node have an intrinsic
positional relationship on that node. If you use two different nodes with
the same coordinates, then you risk having the duplicated node problem.

As for admin boundaries sharing nodes, sometimes that is the only clean way
to signify the relationship of an admin boundary with surrounding landuses.
Case in point is the eastern boundary of Barangay Ayala Alabang in
Muntinlupa <http://osm.org/go/4zgXRLjkm->. This border is exactly the
eastern perimeter of Ayala Alabang Village. The landuse covering Ayala
Alabang Village shares almost all of its nodes with the ways that make up
Brgy. Ayala Alabang. I actually am thinking of breaking up the Ayala Alabang
Village landuse polygon into parts, delete the redundant ways and create a
multipolygon relation reusing the admin boundary ways so that there are no
more overlapping ways.

http://vaes9.codedgraphic.com