[talk-ph] General strategy to using bing imagery in areas with no active OSMer (was Re: Microsoft Bing Maps Imagerty [sic] Terms of Use)

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 10:09:40 GMT 2010

I'm posting this to generate insights on how we should maximize and
accelerate data contributions in bing covered areas.

At the moment there are a lot of bing imagery with minimal active
ph-osmer (perhaps main reason is the lack of imagery).  I am
predicting that this will change very soon when other people start to
see that their area of interest has his-res imagery available.  As a
community, how do we approach the info dissemination so that people
become aware that there is imagery already in "X" town?

Some suggestions:
1. Lets create a coverage list and add them here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Philippines/hires_imagery
. Do we have complete coverage sweep:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Bing/Coverage#Philippines ?

2. Check nearby editors covered by bing and remind them that imagery
is now available (via OSM messaging).

3.  "Seed" the area by tracing roads (temporarily tagged as highway=road).

Adding stub roads can give an impression of completeness.  Hence, it
can be counter-productive.  Personally, I have reservations on point 3
(but lack the patience to wait for a passionate contributor in "X"
town) :) .

On the long term, the main strategy would be to encourage local osm
groups within these imagery covered areas.

Any ideas?