[talk-ph] Intramuros Mapping Party: meeting places

maning sambale emmanuel.sambale at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 07:38:52 GMT 2010

We had the afternoon meet-up in Museong Pambata c/o Maricel Montero.

Inside the Old Manila exhibit room was a large map showing the route
of the Manila-Acapulco Galleon Trade [1].  The map shows that the
first entry point to the Philippines is a small island between Samar
and Luzon island.  This island is called Capul Island [2].

Some trivia why I am very much interested in this island:
1.  The native language is not of Visayan roots but that of a distinct
Abaknon (Inabaknon) related to the language family Sama-Bajaw dominant
in Sulu archipelago and the coast of Borneo. [3]  A map of Philippine
languages is here [4].  According to local legend: "Capul Island was
originally founded by King Abak who escaped from Java with his tribe
before the onslaught of Islam" [5]
2.  The geographic location of the island is an ideal
amenity=galleon_stop to the long route=ferry name=Manila-Acapulco
Galleon Trade Route, before proceeding to Manila because of the small
size of the island and the expansive view of the horizon.
"Wide-angle" view of the horizon is very important for the Galleon
traders in order to spot potential pirate attacks.
3.  Much of what we know as Filipino food (plants, fruits or
vegetables) came from the trade and commerce within this
Manila-Acapulco Galleon Trade [6].  Big thanks to the Capul Island
dwellers who "helped" secure a safe travel to the galleon traders.

Free beers from me to anyone who will be able to visit and map this island. :)

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manila_galleon
[2] http://osm.org/go/44Fk8h0
[3] http://www.ethnologue.com/show_family.asp?subid=1464-16
[4] http://samartrexplore.multiply.com/photos/album/17/EXPLORE_CAPUL_ISLAND