[talk-ph] OSM-PH Featured images for Jan 31 and Feb 7

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 06:01:39 GMT 2010

Hi guys,

I have initiated a Featured images activity for OSM-PH[1]. This is similar
to the project-wide Featured images[2] but this is specific to the
Philippines. Maning has already mentioned[3] the first featured image, and
this is the Naga City map[4] which was featured on January 24.

The featured image for January 31 is a visualization of editing activity for
Metro Manila and surrounding areas for the past year[5].

The featured image for February 7 is a map created by MapAction, an
international humanitarian mapping organization. They created situation maps
depicting the effects of Typhoon Ondoy last year and they used OSM-PH road
data as one of their sources. In case you missed it, this was announced on
the mailing list last October[7].

The idea for this Featured images activity is to highlight really good
examples of OSM mapping in the Philippines and to serve as inspiration.
Also, by having these featured images, we already have a selection of images
that we can show to the public for PR purposes. If you're interested to
participate, check out the Nominations page[8].

I'm also thinking of setting up a blog for these featured images so that
other people can follow it since not everyone is into browsing the OSM wiki.
What do you guys think?

[1]
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Philippines/Featured_images
[2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Featured_images