[talk-ph] Navteq/Nokia finally shows their mapping data for the Philippines

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 14:47:49 GMT 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 6:21 AM, Ray <rayosm1234 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ronny Ager-Wick - Develo Ltd. wrote:
>
> > yes, anyone can actually sell it, but the "SA" part fo the license means:
> > *Share Alike* — If you alter, transform, or build upon this work, you
> > may distribute the resulting work only under the same, similar or a
> > compatible license.
>
> [...]
>
> > In our case, if someone used OSM to produce a paper map, but added lots
> > of new roads, I believe this gives us the right to buy one copy and then
> > trace it. Similarly if they distributed it electronically, if we legally
> > got hold of a copy of their modified OSM map, we could probably import
> > it to OSM? What do the legal department say about this?
>
> I havn't spend much time on license issues, only avoiding to use
> copyrightes material myself. So can't give an real answer. You should
> ask this on the user mailing list or search the archive / wiki. Guess
> these questions have already been raised and answered.
>
> Ray

We shouldn't enter deliberate errors. That would be considered vandalism.

However, since there are plenty of ways to represent reality on the ground
as an abstract piece of data (e.g., the number and position of nodes to
represent a curved road, or which areas are completed or not), these things
can reliably be used to determine whether somebody is using OSM data or not.
So we really do not need to add copyright easter eggs into OSM <
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Copyright_Easter_Eggs>.